Association's Historical Highlights
• Opposed and won a stay from the Post Office who wanted to change from Door to Door delivery to Garden Apartment's to master cluster boxes (possibly as far as a block away from ones apartment)
• Strongly opposed the sprinkler retro-fitting of the 18 Tower building in the recent past, saving residents an average of $175.
• Opposed commercialization of the Pan Pacific Auditorium.
• Succeeded in getting limits put on Capital Improvement pass-through, saving tenants thousands of dollars.
• Helped eliminate a parking garage tax.
• Took a stand on Gating and Fencing pass-through.
• Supported interest on rent deposits.
• Opposed a plan to replace the PLB tennis courts and the Recreation Center with new apartments.
• Supported Rent Stabilization.
• Helped enact a better notification program for insecticide spraying.
• Supported a better recycling program at PLB.
• Supported the Habitability Enforcement Program. Recently worked for better elevators, and better neighbor relations.
• Helped management in achieving improved parking.
The Association has also precluded 100% of the Tower Redecoration and External Improvements Fees from becoming a part of the residents rent indefinitely. Due to the Association's efforts, owners of Rental Property can charge only 50% of the costs of Capital Improvements to residents for a limited time.
The Association has also worked closely with the City of Los Angeles to improve safety conditions on Hauser Blvd. And it has worked continually with Park La Brea Management to improve the quality of maintenance services, heating, grounds care and noise control.
Management Liaison / Community Safety and Security
PLBRA is the liaison between Park La Brea residents and Park La Brea Management. It is our goal to be of assistance to residents on matters of service, safety and just economics. We believe that the practice of constant and consistent communication with PLB Management, and a policy of maintaining a tough but friendly and trusting relationship with Management is the best way to fulfill this responsibility.
Enhancement of The Quality of Life at Park La Brea
Our goal is the improvement of the quality of life for the diverse cultural community of Park La Brea.
PLBRA has a responsibility to keep our fellow Park La Brea residents informed. To accomplish this objective, PLBRA has created the PLBRA Newsletter, a monthly publication. The Newsletter provides news and information on PLBRA activities, on park La Brea community activities, and on the politics and legislation affecting our community. This website is also a way of informing residents who have computers about the Park La Brea Residents Association.
Association's Current Highlights
• Reactivation of the ADVOCACY PROGRAM – dedicated to serving ALL Park La Brea residents. Advocating for our Fellow Residents
• Publication of the monthly PLBRA Newsletter – In a new format and on a self-supporting basis.
• Achieving meaningful dialog with PLB Management through periodic PLBRA/PLB Management “Top Management” meetings.
• Re-instituting Cultural Programs at Park La Brea FREE to Park La Brea residents and guests:
Latin Jazz Concert
Roger Wright Piano Recital
Ernie Watts Quartet
Proposed in 2013
Flamenco Dance Program
• Obtaining Financial Support from PLB Management for both the PLBRA Newsletter and Cultural Programs.
• Active Participation In:
Community Outreach Day National Night Out
The Great California Shake Out
Emergency & Earthquake Preparedness
Reactivation of Neighborhood Watch
Outdoor Movie Program (Technical Support)
• Guardian of Renters Rights and supporter of the Los Angeles City Rent Stabilization Ordinance.
•“Neighbors Helping Neighbors” PLB residents working together for a better Park La Brea.
• Facilitating Community Activities at Park La Brea:
Plays that Shakespeare Didn’t Write
ESL Conversation Group
PLB Library Community Garden (Admin Support)
Kids’ Art Club (Publicity)
• Safety & Health:
Traffic Safety - 6th Street & Hauser Blvd
Support Your Local Fire Station (61)
Crime Prevention Awareness
Hazardous Waste Round-Up
Election Forum - Ballot Measures
Health Fair (with LIFE)
Concessions from PLB Management:
• Upgrade of the projection and sound equipment at the Activity Center Theater
• PLBRA WEB SITE (Up and Running)